LE03
The
journey continues…
Well, after
the wonderful experience of the 1st two sessions, Dr. Prasad met us
on the Saturday morning and discussed about the Pygmalion effect and the Theory
X and Y in management.
Pygmalion
Effect
I read
about Pygmalion in the Greek mythology and I came across some fascinating
facts. Pygmalion was a Gold-smith interested in sculpturing, he carved a women
out of ivory. His statue was so fair and realistic that he fell in love with
it. On the Venus festival day, he wished his ivory sculpture would be changed
to a real woman. When he returned home, he kissed his ivory statue and it came
to life.
Through
this narrative, I learned that if I wish something to happen, then it can
happen. I should aim high and in the end I will reap rich benefits. When I
start believing that I can perform very well during my MBA course, I will
ultimately perform very well and that will result in success at a much higher
level.
Theory
X and Theory Y in Management
An Introduction
The two
Theories in management represent two set of assumptions about human nature and
human behaviour. On one hand, Theory X represents a negative view of human
nature, it assumes that individuals generally dislike work, are irresponsible,
and require close supervision to do their jobs. On the other hand, Theory Y
represents a positive view of the human nature and assumes individuals are
responsible and are self motivated to do their jobs. Managers who exhibit
behaviour in accordance with Theory X have a managerial style quite different
than managers who exhibit behaviour in accordance with Theory Y.
Scenarios Discussed
Theory X
and Theory Y apply to managers, the scenarios discussed in the session considered
another dimension. This dimension was the actual motivation level of the
employees under a manager. The following four scenarios were discussed.
1. My Employees are lazy and I assume
that they are lazy
(Theory X)
This
situation occurs in those organizations in which the organizational goals are
not clearly laid down. The employees are not motivated to work, also the
manager thinks that the employees are incompetent and does not believe in his
employees. As a result, the productivity decreases.
2. My Employees are good and I assume
that they are lazy
(Theory X)
This
situation is the most dangerous of all the four. The employees are
self-motivated and do their job with utmost sincerity, but the manager thinks
them to be incompetent. As a result, it might be possible that the employees
get de-motivated because ultimately they are not appreciated for the work done
and they feel that their efforts are going in vain.
3. My Employees are lazy and I assume
that they are good
(Theory Y)
This
situation is a model situation of all the four. Though the employees are not
motivated and do not want to do their job, the manager thinks that the
employees are very competent. As a result, the manager is able to motivate the
employees as he believes in them. The employees also start performing since the
manager expects them to perform.
4. My Employees are good and I assume
that they are good
(Theory Y)
This
situation is a perfect situation. The employees are self-motivated to perform
their job, and the manager also believes in his team. As a result, the
employees are able perform to their potentials and their effort are equally
appreciated and the employees get a sense of achievement.
Summary
In my
opinion, the third scenario is the best scenario, wherein the managerial skill
and expertise of a person is tested to the hilt. A manager in the third
scenario believes in his employees and expects them to perform. This
expectation of the manager from employees motivates them to perform and help in
improving productivity.
Dear... Let me remind you that NO blogs = No marks. So far you could make only TWO blogs. No additional blogs you have written on the many of the topics I have dealt in the class.
ReplyDeleteSo, it is up to you.. Blogs have 20 marks ! !
I know that you sing well. But.. I also need blogs from you.. Respond.. Love. dr mandi